Friday, January 11, 2013

Daily life of a cancer teen

Most teens worry about if their girlfriend is cheating on them or if Jamie is talking about you. Normal teen drama. I would like to take your time just to vent on my daily worries. Starting with the top worry. Is today my last day? I think about the possibility of cancer killing me almost everyday for about 5 minutes. Then I get out of bed and take my morning medicine. Which includes steroids and Zantac. The steroids have a crap ton on side effects from hunger to changes in emotions. The best thing about the steroids they are the best treatment for the cancer other than chemotherapy treatment. Then I get a shower. It's hard to stand in the shower because of  the pain in my joints caused by the chemotherapy and steroids. After the shower I get dressed and lay down on the couch. A normal teen would be off to school. I can not go to school because I'm immune compromised. Like a newborn, anything that is contagious I could get. From the flu to whopping cough. So school is out of the option. I'm home bound school starting Monday. A teacher will come to my house and teach me everything I need to get my high-school diploma. So after that I'm hungry for everything. So I eat a lot and the chemotherapy slows down your digestion which means I'm full of  food but I'm still eating. Then it's about 12 and I'm thinking how I wish I could have a job for money, but can't cause once again immune compromised. People will kill me with their germs. So now I take my noon medicine. More steroids, after that I try to talk my sister or dad to take me to hobby lobby. I have to wear a mask. So I get tons of looks. But I don't care. I'm starting my own money making business; stained glass.  Which once up and running, that will be my "job". Then I get home about 2 and I'm exhausted physically and emotionally. And I still haven't pooped. So I take a nap until my sister comes home from school and my mom comes home from work. Then I cook dinner with the help of my family. I eat fast cause I'm hungry about this time my mind is going crazy fast like I'm on speed because of the steroids. And I take some meds that calms me down watch some tv in pain and then around 8 I take more steroids. And go to bed about 10. But it's hard to fall asleep.  That is my normal day. You can make up your own thoughts is it a great life or the worse ever. You can decide that yourself. It's just my normal day.

1 comment:

  1. Zach- We've never met, but we share an aunt. My moms sister is Marlene Reynolds. I hope you don't mind that I asked her for your blog address because I'm very interested in what you have to say. You see, my daughter just finished treatment for ALL in July! She was only 3 1/2 at diagnosis and just turned 6 in September so cancer has been her while life. I'm sorry you have to go through this again. I can relate to how your mom feels. There's nothing worse than seeing your child hurting and not being able to help.

    I wanted to tell you that I know a lot of kids with ALL, and could put you in contact with some kids your age going through the same stuff. If you're interested let me know and I'll get you some info. Sometimes it makes the mundane boredom and worry seem more bearable when you don't feel all alone. I commend you for starting this blog! I started one when my daughter was diagnosed and it wAs very therapeutic for me. Anyway, if you would like more info on fellow ALL kids just email me @ leashepherd@live.com. Ps-when my daughter was on steroids she craved some crazy stuff...a couple examples: fritos dipped in peanut butter, and Oreos dipped in ranch! I still gag just thinking about it! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete