Sunday, January 6, 2013

The Results are in…

          My mom, dad, and I were trying to have small talk while waiting for the Doctor to come in and tell us the results of all the tests they ran. Although the day is fuzzy and I still feel confused and shocked my strongest memory is that of my mother crying. She felt completely cheated at how hard I worked to beat this disease 4 short years ago. It was official, I have leukemia once again, and all the questions of why/how did this happen?   
                The next day I had a JROTC Military Ball. So under the permission of the great pediatric hematology/oncology doctors of SAMMC I was let out of the hospital for the night; I felt like Cinderella. I partied and danced until 11 O’clock with this amazing girl. I was a normal teen for 4 hours and it was great. That was the last time I got to see all my friends. So, I went home and lay down to go to sleep after an ideal night. Around 2 in the morning the pain was back and it was crippling. I couldn’t even stand straight up without crying. So I yell to my parents to call the doctor, after talking to the Doctor, we where off to the hospital’s Emergency Room. For those of you that have been to an ER you will understand the frustration… just try and imagine if you can, being recently diagnosed with cancer, in massive amount of pain, and having some 18 year old soldier trying to give you an IV while complaining how tired she was. Not only did I have to deal with the pain and uncertainty I was dealing with this person stabbing at my veins multiple times. Finally one of the RN’s came in and found a vein. About an hour later I was taking Percocet (pain medicine) and starting to feel better in my own hospital room.   

No comments:

Post a Comment