Saturday, January 5, 2013

I’m a Leukemia relapse teenager.

Hello, my name is Zachery Reynolds and I’m a Leukemia relapse teenager, I was first diagnosed with Acute Lympoblastic Leukemia (ALL) on September 22 2004 when I was just 7 years old. I went through treatment and Chemotherapy for about 4 years then I was pronounced “cured” on December 10 2008 when I receved what should have been my last treatment, excited because I could be a normal kid again. About 24 days ago on the 12th of December 2012 I went to the doctor with lower back pain thinking about how I could have hurt it. While at the doctor she noticed that my right eye wasn’t opening all the way and seem to droop some. Because of my history, Dr. Howell sent me to have a bone Magnetic Reconance Imaging [an (MRI) is a diagnostic procedure that uses a combination of a large magnet, radio frequencies, and a computer to produce detailed images of organs and structures within the body.] To make sure that everything was clean and ensuring I had not broke or bruised my lower back. What the doctor found by the images was shocking to say the least. The images showed my tailbone completely black with dyes that pick up on stuff that shouldn’t be there. All the doctors had their own ideas of what was on my bone. So, they go into their office and talk about me for about one hour. Then they came back to the waiting room and said there are three things this can be, cancer, bone infection, or bone eating bacteria. We need to run more test. About that time my mother starts crying thinking about how horrible the treatment was for the cancer last time. I keep my calm and ask “if its tumors then it can’t be the same thing as last time, Right?” The doctor replies “there are tumors, tons of little tumors on your tailbone. We think that they all have the same gene code makeup. Right now that is all we know, we will admit you to the hospital today and we need to take blood to see if there are cancer cells in your body. We will also need an MRI of your brain because of your eye drooping, also we will need to give you a spinal tap and a bone marrow biopsy [an L.P. is performed in your lower back, in the lumbar region. During lumbar puncture, a needle is inserted between two lumbar bones (vertebrae) to remove a sample of cerebrospinal fluid.] Bone Marrow Biopsy [a Bone Marrow Biopsy and bone marrow aspiration are procedures to collect and examine bone marrow — the spongy tissue inside some of your larger bones.] Dr. Howell then said, "we will have our answer after these tests results come back"...

No comments:

Post a Comment